Neighbor Ride Supporting Howard County Seniors Through the Covid 19 Pandemic
During the current COVID-19 crisis, Neighbor Ride is committed to its mission of enhancing the health and well-being of Howard County’s seniors, especially those who are isolated with minimal access to medical care, food, or family support. Here is what we are doing to better ensure the safety and well-being of our community’s seniors:
- Effective June 4, 2020, Neighbor Ride will accept ride requests for Medical appointments, Food delivery, and rides to Grocery stores, Hair Salons/Barber shops, Veterinaries, and Banks.
- Please click here to see our current FAQ’s for drivers and passengers.
- We have created a process by which our drivers can volunteer for free FOOD DELIVERY rides in collaboration with the Howard County Food Bank – providing groceries for county residents who utilize the Food Bank during this crisis.
- We are also providing free FOOD Delivery Rides in collaboration with the Howard County Dept of Community Resources & Service’s Office on Aging & Independence Grab & Go Meal Program and the HCPSS Grab & Go Meal Program.
- Our volunteer Ride Coordinators will conduct “Friendly Calls” to Neighbor Ride clients to provide a warm human touch and support during this time that can be filled with anxiety and fear, especially for those isolated without family or other resources. Connections with appropriate resources will be made if specific concerns arise.
How you can help…
Follow GUIDANCE from Howard County Government. Visit the links below for health alerts and the latest updates on local services.
Help seniors STAY HOME and STAY SAFE. Food insecurity is one of seniors’ greatest concerns as they are forced to shelter-in-place for their well-being. For existing Neighbor Ride volunteers, watch your emails or visit your Ride Match portal and, if it is safe for you to do so, volunteer to provide scheduled food delivery rides. For other individuals interested in volunteering to deliver food, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our community helpers list. We will reach out to community helpers as demand grows beyond the scope of what we can meet with existing volunteers.
DONATE online. Our mission continues during this time of crisis. We are there for Howard County seniors – answering their calls, continuing to get them to their essential medical appointments, and expanding our services to include food delivery to better address food insecurity in our community during this pandemic. Your donation ensures that seniors in our community continue to have access to the vital services and resources they need.
Shop with AMAZON SMILE. Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your AmazonSmile purchase to Neighbor Ride when you select us as your charity. Click here to set it up.